Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Robert Miller's "Native America, Discovered and Conquered"

Robert J. Miller is Professor of Law at Lewis & Clark Law School.

He applied the "Page 99 Test" and the "Page 69 Test" to his book Native America, Discovered and Conquered: Thomas Jefferson, Lewis & Clark, and Manifest Destiny and reported the following:
Page 99 of my book gives an example synopsis of the thesis of my book in regards the Lewis & Clark expedition. My book is about how the international law Doctrine of Discovery was used by Euro-Americans in what is now the United States to take property, commercial, diplomatic and human rights from the indigenous people.

On page 99, which is the first page of my fifth chapter, I introduce how Lewis & Clark and President Thomas Jefferson used the Doctrine of Discovery to claim the Pacific Northwest for the United States and to claim property, commercial, diplomatic and human rights against the native people of the Louisiana Territory and the Oregon Country.

Page 69 of my book is also an excellent place to start reviewing my book. On that page, in my third chapter, I explain that President Jefferson purchased the Doctrine of Discovery power from France when he entered the Louisiana Treaty and how he used the principles of Discovery against the native peoples there.
Read a description of Native America, Discovered and Conquered and visit the book's blog; see Robert Miller's faculty website.

--Marshal Zeringue